Saturday, April 24, 2010

Berry Stash

A couple of weeks ago, when Seattle's landscape was under a constant barrage of spring-time rainfall, I got a craving for berries. Plump, juicy jewels of summer... The idea seemed so far fetched. Yeah, I know that it's possible to hit up the grocery store for berries all year long, but it's just not the same. Those supermarket fruits are like impostors; gritty, tasteless lumps donning the costume of freshness and flavor so naturally employed by the authentic berries of summer. I wanted that purity. I wanted to eat berries that would shout out their prefixes as they hit my hungry palate... Ras! Blue! Straw!... amongst my own squeals of delight.

I did a very smart thing last year. I froze berries. Somehow I knew that winter would stretch on and on and I would yearn for the sweetness. Luckily a couple of weeks ago I still had a pint or two stashed way in the back of my freezer. After confirming that both strawberries and blueberries did in fact exist in the depths of that frosty compartment, I took just a moment to consider my plan. It didn't take long to figure out that waffles with berry sauce was the answer to all of my longing.


Berry Sauce

1/2 pint each blueberries & strawberries (fresh or frozen)
2 T. honey

If using frozen berries, thaw. Cut larger strawberries in half.

Combine the berries and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir and allow the mixture to come to a simmer. As the berries release their juices, smash them with a fork or other utensil to make a chunky liquid. Taste and add more honey if you see fit. I don't like my sauce to be too sweet, though.

Continue to cook the berries for another 5-10 minutes, turn off the heat, and you're ready to bliss out!


I used a mix that I really enjoy to make these waffles. It's called The Cravings Place: All Purpose Pancake and Waffle Mix. This mix makes fantastic waffles (the pancakes I've made with it were only so-so).



Spoon the warm berry sauce over the crispy waffles and transport yourself to late July. So amazing. If you're fortunate enough to have leftovers, this sauce is also magnificent over a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Indulge... Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's great to hear your feedback and comments!
Anonymous users, please select "Name/URL" from the "Comment As" drop down menu and leave me your name. I'd love to know who you are. Thanks for your support!

Related Posts with Thumbnails