Monday, December 28, 2009

Miso Hungry


I think I'm obsessed with soup. That steamy, warm, brothy goodness is taking over my diet in one form or another, making its way into my meals with increasing frequency. I crave thick stews, heavy with beans and vegetables and yearn for noodles drowning in herbed stocks (think broth, not Wall Street). This winter has been ripe with experimentation in the realm of meals that require bowls and spoons.

For days when I have a hankering for soup but need to go easy on the time expenditure, I came up with this spin on Vietnamese Pho. Maybe I shouldn't make that comparison at all, given this recipe's lack of beef tendon and bean sprouts, but the rice noodles and veggies call it to mind for me.

My version uses a miso broth (excellent for aid in digestion - hello, friendly flora!), greens, carrots, garlic and cayenne. It's simple, delicious and a breeze to make. Feel free to slurp.



Miso Rice Noodle Soup

1 serving (can easily be increased for friends)

thin rice noodles (about a handful)
2 T. miso paste (I use white miso)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 medium carrot, sliced
1 C. packed, chopped kale leaves
cayenne

Boil water in a small saucepan, and cook noodles according to package directions. Drain the noodles and rinse them with cold water. Place the noodles in the serving bowl and set aside.

Heat about 1 1/2 C. of water in the saucepan and add the miso paste. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the miso, and then reduce heat to medium. Add the garlic and cayenne, and simmer for a couple of minutes. Then toss in the carrots and kale. Allow the veggies to cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring a few times.

Pour the broth and veggies over the noodles and serve steaming hot.

The variations for this soup are pretty endless. Add any vegetables you like, fresh herbs, bean sprouts, tofu, etc., etc.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Incredible presentation. The miso soup looks and sounds incredible. Loved your site, very professional. Photos were crisp and clear. Recipes concise and easy to read. I shall be back for a bite of more.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Cheers, Gaby
    You can visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com

    ReplyDelete

It's great to hear your feedback and comments!
Anonymous users, please select "Name/URL" from the "Comment As" drop down menu and leave me your name. I'd love to know who you are. Thanks for your support!

Related Posts with Thumbnails