Sunday, January 13, 2013

homemade peanut butter cups



So, here we are.  Day thirteen of twenty thirteen.  A lot of people didn't think we'd make it this far, whether it be God's wrath, Mayan prophecy, or zombie apocalypse, but we're still here, alive and kickin', brains intact.

It's hard to believe that this month is about half over already.  I know I'm constantly commenting on how fast the time flies by, but seriously... it does.

To recap this month so far:
 
My New Year's celebrations were on the seriously mellow side this time around, but I have to tell you... I'm not at all ashamed to inform you that I called it a night at the respectable hour of 9:45pm this January 31st.  Or that I spent the better part of the morning January 1st scrubbing the greasy crud from my kitchen stove. 

These simple acts, cleaning my home because I have the day off and the urge for a project, snuggling up to my sweetheart hours before any fireworks are thinking of exploding in colorful celebration, make me feel good.  It's just that... well... simple.

It used to be that I would force myself to stay up late for things like fireworks, or other such midnight happenings.  I'd down a few cocktails to help with the effort.  I'd go dancing or to a concert, and I'd tell myself how fun it was going to be, how I didn't want to miss it.

And then sometimes I'd be yawning by 10, waiting for the fun.  Often it never came. 

And then I'd fall into bed way later than usual (I'm a total morning person), and I'd sleep right through my favorite time of day.  Bummer.

So I've found that these late night champagne toasts just aren't my thing.  It's taken me thirty-two years to accept it, but I'd really rather get a good night's sleep and laugh it off when my friends call out my lameness.

Yeah, so what if I spent my NYE watching Law and Order and eating the best cobb salad of my life.  I felt great the next day, and now my stove is spotless.




I was so well rested that I even made homemade peanut butter cups on New Year's Day.  A friend of Sweets and I had a housewarming party to show off his new digs.  Trust me, a first time home owner will love these... it helps if they're addicted to chocolate.

I've also been hard a work on my new Health Coaching website and business.  Please check it out!  


These are very exciting times for me.  For the first time in my life, I'm working towards a career.  I never knew how much fun it could be!  I love that I get to focus so much time and energy on something I love.  It's totally rad. 

I have so many ideas for my new business.  More writing and blogging, workshops, videos, e-books... I'll be sure to keep you posted as everything moves along.

In the meantime, make yourself some of these PB cups.  They're the healthiest ones you'll ever have (only 3 ingredients!), and oh, they're so so good.

Cheers!




Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
makes about 20
gluten-free, vegan

7 oz. vegan dark chocolate (I used 72%), chopped
6 T. natural, salted peanut butter
6 tsp. coconut oil, softened
mini paper cups

  • Start by melting your chocolate.  Use either a double-boiler or place it in an oven-safe saucepan and put in a 400 degree oven for a few minutes.  Stir to melt completely.

  • Place your paper cups on a small baking sheet or tray.  Use a spoon to drop a small amount of chocolate into the bottom of each mini paper cup, and place the tray in the freezer for at least 10 minutes to harden the chocolate.

  • Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, stir together the peanut butter and coconut oil until very well combined.

  • Remove the tray of cups from the freezer, and using a small spoon, drop a dollop of peanut butter mixture into each cup on top of the hardened chocolate.  Place the tray back in the freezer for another 5-10 minutes.

  • If your remaining chocolate has hardened, remelt it, and remove the tray of cups from the freezer again.

  • Spoon the remaining chocolate over the peanut butter in the cups, and place your tray back in the freezer.  Allow to harden for 1+ hour before eating.  Store in the fridge to keep them from melting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's great to hear your feedback and comments!
Anonymous users, please select "Name/URL" from the "Comment As" drop down menu and leave me your name. I'd love to know who you are. Thanks for your support!

Related Posts with Thumbnails