Tuesday, March 1, 2011

gluten-free coconut dark chocolate banana bread: the recipe


Apparently, some of you have been dying from the anticipation of this post.  I can't say I blame you, really.  I mean, come on.  Who in their right mind wouldn't be a little anxious to bake something with a title as conspicuously delicious as this one?

Nobody I know.

I've already described to you the inspiration for this recipe.  You can read all about it here, if you haven't already.  The idea was to provide a little teaser while I labored on an even better recipe than the one I'd put together for round one.  Well, time got away from me, as it tends to, and then I failed a batch (edible, but texturally disappointing).  Anyway, it's taken me a little bit longer than expected to get the recipe up to par with my vision of the perfectly moist, fruity, nutty, chocolaty loaf of (drum roll, please)...

Gluten-free Grain-free Coconut Dark Chocolate Banana Bread!

(hold for applause)

Well, here it is, folks.  And yes, the formula for success is included at no extra charge.  

This isn't your grandmother's banana bread.  Coconut flour stands in for the wheat and makes this treat suitable for those avoiding gluten and/or grains.  It does make the texture different than that bread of your grandma's, but if you can wrap your head around the change, I'm sure you'll be just as thrilled as the rest of us.

The dark chocolate can come in the form of chips or a favorite bar, chopped into pieces.  My preference for the bananas is that they're speckled with brown, in terms of ripeness.  Overly ripe bananas (very brown ones) impart a slightly  bitter, unpleasant flavor, in my opinion. 

My remaining advice to you would-be bakers out there is included in the recipe.  Good luck, enjoy, and be sure to spoil your dinner.


Gluten-free Coconut Dark Chocolate Banana Bread
makes 1 loaf

3/4 C. coconut flour, sifted (sifting is key here)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4+ tsp. baking soda (heap it a little)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten*
1.5 C. mashed, ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 C. coconut milk**
1/4 C. butter or coconut oil, melted (just warm, not hot)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C. dark chocolate chips, chunks or pieces
1/2 C. walnuts, coarsely chopped
3-4 T. unsweetened, shredded coconut

* Too much egg will mess up the recipe (I learned the hard way).  Make sure to use large eggs or to cut down to 3 if using extra large.
** If your coconut milk is separated in the can (which it likely will be), pour/scrape the contents into a large bowl and whisk for uniformity before measuring out 1/2 C. for the recipe.
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly oil your loaf pan.
  • Whisk sifted coconut flour, salt and baking soda together in a medium mixing bowl.
  • In a separate, large mixing bowl, combine the beaten eggs, mashed bananas, brown sugar, coconut milk, butter, and vanilla with a wooden spoon.
  • Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two steps, stirring to combine the first half before adding the second.  The batter will be thick.  Fold in the chocolate and nuts.
  • Pour/scrape the batter into the greased loaf pan, smoothing out the surface with a rubber spatula.  Sprinkle the shredded coconut over the top.
  • Place in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until the top is browned and the coconut golden. Allow the loaf to cool completely.
  • Once cool, run a knife or spatula around the edges of the loaf, loosening it from the pan.  Cover the loaf with your hand or a plate and invert to remove it from the pan.  If it doesn't slide out easily, use the spatula to further loosen it.  Place on a plate, slice and serve.
**This post is linked to Allergy-Friendly Friday on Cybele Pascal's Allergen-Free Cuisine.  Check it out!

7 comments:

  1. I can't make this (due to additional allergy considerations) but I found you via your link on Cybele Pascal's page and wanted to say these photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bread looks fantastic. I'm going to try a slightly adapted version of it for my kids. My son Lennon loves coconut, and banana, and chocolate, so it's great for him, minus the walnuts. Thanks so much for sharing!

    best,
    Cybele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I don't usually leave comments on the recipes I try, but I just had to for this one. It's so good! I follow a primal/grain/dairy free eating plan, so I love it when I find recipes that don't need any changes. Keep up the delicious work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made this bread last night. It is DELICIOUS! Followed the recipe exactly as it was listed. The only suggestion I have is if you are planning on taking the bread loaf out of the pan, you should really leave the bread in the pan over night (or let it cool for many hours!) and then try to get it out. I tried to lift it out pre-maturely and the bread cracked quite a bit, so I quickly put it back in the pan. Other than that - this is an incredible recipe! Thank you and please keep up the work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kira, I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! I agree with the lengthy cooling time - I mangled a loaf by trying to flip it out too soon. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good! I subbed almond milk for the coconut milk! This was the moistest GF banana bread I have ever had. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I'm so glad you liked the recipe! And thank you for your feedback on this substitution. I appreciate it.

      Delete

It's great to hear your feedback and comments!
Anonymous users, please select "Name/URL" from the "Comment As" drop down menu and leave me your name. I'd love to know who you are. Thanks for your support!

Related Posts with Thumbnails