Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Garden

It's June already, and I realized that I have yet to say a word about this year's garden. The seeds that I planted way back when in February and March have been sprouting for awhile now and are finally making my plot seem like more than a big empty soil patch. It's very exciting.

Let's see, the crops nearing their way to my belly include several types of lettuce, snap peas, broccoli, collard greens (my favorite!), shallots, beets, cabbage, kohlrabi, onions, carrots and two types of potatoes. Whew! I cannot wait to start harvesting. Nothing quite compares to the satisfaction that ensues upon savoring vegetables which made their way to you via a teeny little seed that you stuck in the ground, watched sprout and then plucked from the Earth to be your dinner. It boggles my mind that this feat of nature is possible, and it makes me smile smile smile to be taking advantage of it.

Yesterday, the sun finally came out after what seemed like an eternity of Seattle rain and gloom. I know I signed up for the weather here when I made the Puget Sound region my home, but it has truly been ridiculous. "Maytober", people have been calling this past month. Anyway, the sun was more than welcome for the few hours it showed its face. The minute I saw the clouds part, I hopped on my bike and rode down to the P-patch to check on my seedlings. Here's a little show for you. Enjoy.

The peas are flowering


My first potato crop - these things grow like crazy


Broccoli!


Cabbage heads are starting to form


Carrot tops all in a row


Mmm, lettuce


Salad mix


Walla Walla sweet & some type of red onions (I'm terrible about
remembering what I've planted)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's great to hear your feedback and comments!
Anonymous users, please select "Name/URL" from the "Comment As" drop down menu and leave me your name. I'd love to know who you are. Thanks for your support!

Related Posts with Thumbnails